Patient Care Navigator
Accountable to: Operations Director
Responsible to: Team Leader
Job purpose: To provide an efficient service to patients presenting to or telephoning the practice.
Hours of work: Between 18 and 22.5 hours per week worked over 4 or 5 days.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
1. To assist the doctors and other clinicians in the provision of a high quality service
2. Receiving and directing patients on arrival in a courteous and efficient manner
3. Answering general enquiries, explaining processes
4. Answering telephone calls coming into the surgery and dealing with callers as appropriate
5. Receiving and recording requests for home visits and messages for the doctors & nurses
6. Seeking patient information and results from hospitals and other organisations
7. Giving results to patients
8. Book transport for patients having to attend hospital appointments.
9. Initiating computerised prescriptions as requested by patients.
10. Registering new patients onto the clinical system (both permanent & temporary patients)
11. Entering patient data onto the clinical system
12. Contacting/chasing patients as requested by the Clinicians.
13. Booking of appointments
15. Faxing & emailing outside agencies
16. To work as a positive and active member within the Practice Team.
17. You will be expected to take part in an annual appraisal at which your performance will be reviewed and your training needs discussed.
18. Attend relevant meetings as required including staff meetings. You may be requested to attend other meetings at the request of the nursing, medical or management team.
19. This job description is not exhaustive and may be adjusted periodically after review and consultation. You will also be expected to carry out any reasonable duties that may be requested from time-to-time.
- Good IT Skills – Essential
- Good organisational skills – Essential
- Good communication skills – Essential
- Ability to multi-task – Essential
- Ability to work to deadlines – Essential
- Knowledge of local health services / providers – Desirable