As one gets older our health declines. Many issues, both genetic and environmental, affect how we age. The most common condition affecting those 65 and older are:
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Stroke & Dementia
- Pneumonia and the Flu – Make sure you get your annual Flu Injection
- Accidents & Falls
As the body changes, other things to be aware of are:
- A slowed reaction time, which is especially important when judging if a person can drive.
- Thinner skin, which can lead to breakdowns and wounds that don’t heal quickly
- A weakened immune system, which can make fighting off viruses, bacteria and diseases difficult
- Diminished sense of taste or smell, especially for smokers, which can lead to diminished appetite and dehydration
- With proper care and prevention older people can have a good quality of life.
If you are elderly or know someone who is elderly who may need some social support you can contact social services directly who will do an initial assessment to see what they can do to help.